Since joining the Missouri Valley Football Conference in 2008, the Jackrabbits have posted a record of 37-19. Year-in and year-out the MVFC has been proven to be one of the most toughest conferences to play in. The MVFC ranked number one overall in the 2014 GPI Rankings.
2014 GPI Conference Rankings
1. Missouri Valley Football Conference (16.17)
2. Big South Conference (36.72)
3. Colonial Athletic Association (40.85)
4. Big Sky Conference (41.22)
5. Southern Conference (46.03)
On a team level, South Dakota State ranked seventh in the GPI Team Rankings.
2014 GPI Team Rankings
1. North Dakota State (1.43)
2. Illinois State (3.71)
3. Jacksonville State (Ala.) (4.00)
4. Northern Iowa (4.86)
5. New Hampshire (5.00)
6. Eastern Washington (6.71)
7. South Dakota State (7.29)
8. Villanova (Pa.) (8.29)
9. Coastal Carolina (S.C.) (8.57)
10. Chattanooga (Tenn.) (9.29)
The Jackrabbit faithful show up week-in and week-out to cheer on their football team, consistently ranking in the top 25 for home attendance in the Football Championship Subdivision. The Jackrabbits will be moving into a new 19,000-seat stadium in 2016.
John Stiegelmeier has been the head coach of the Jackrabbit football team since the 1997 season. Stiegelmeier was a key part in over seeing the major success in the transformation from the Division II era to the Division I era. On Sept. 20, 2014, he became the Jackrabbits' career victories leader and holds a 120-86 career record.